Saturday, November 17, 2012

die Geige

I was a bit too into school and activities in things in the States. My life revolved around it and I had a great time, even if it was a rather taxed commodity. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my high school years at MLWGS for anything. But the amount of free time I have here is a little new and disconcerting. My gymnasium doesn't help much because it has a culture that no longer sustains AGs (German semi-equivalent of after school activities).  So I'm on the lookout for things to do.

I would say I've always wanted to be musical, but that's not exactly true. I was too stubborn to properly learn the piano as a kid just because it wasn't my choice. (Yes, Mom, you were right.) A arrogant band teacher later and the clarinet, along with everything else musical, was history. Or so I thought. I like listening to music. I like being surrounded by music. I just can't make music. Which is sad, somehow.

So, with all the newfound free time, I figured I should do something about it. I found a music school and rented a violin and am now screeching and scratching my way to "proficiency." My real goal is to just be able to eek out a melody that resembles O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree) by Christmas.

The guy who rented me my violin used to live in the house next to ours and we had a nice conversation about the village. Small world all around.
The lessons are particularly funny because my teacher and I work on communicating at the same time. He's not German and neither am I, yet we're holding the lessons in Germany in German. His accent is thick Bulgarian and he has (actually pretty decent) self taught English. I have an American accent and I know no Bulgarian. We make it work though and I'm glad I started.

1 comment:

  1. I like all your posts! I am a finalist for CBYX (not sure if I'm an alternate or if I'm going yet), but I have a blog! come follow me! http://adventuresintheskye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete