Thursday, July 12, 2012

Häufig gestellte Fragen

also known as FAQs

Where is Minden?
See here. Or look to the right of the blog.

Can you travel?
Yes and no. The idea of the exchange is to live with your family and experience Germany. But yes, we can travel. We're allowed 3 trips every six months without our host family, and can go anywhere with our host families.

How did you find out about this scholarship?
My German teacher mentioned it in class at least once a year, and two people went to Germany from my school two years before me (2010-2011). Then again, at this immersion camp run by the state, they also told everyone about the CBYX scholarship. So I applied and here I am.

When will you get back?
Either late May or early June 2013.

Are you nervous?
Yes.

Can you drink?
Yes. Drinking age is 16 and then 18, I believe.

Will you drink?
Meh.

Do you need to speak German? Can you speak German?
Actually, you don't need to be able to speak any German at all to get the scholarship; they'll teach you along the way. But I am semi-fluent in German already. I have been studying it in school for 4 years and did rather well. I was also able to attend a Virginia Governor's Academy for German immersion and that really helped my skills. But, to be honest, I'm still going to hav a rough time understanding everything that is going on around me.

What does CBYX mean? What is CIEE?
CBYX stands for Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange. It comes from the fact that, with funding from the American Congress and German Bundestag, youth are exchanged between the country. CIEE is the 'local' organization that handles all the applications, placements, and interviewing for the South (maybe Southeast, since I'm not sure about Texas).


Feel free to comment with any more questions about the scholarship.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Michael, I just googled your blog. Looks like you have been leaving Minden already... I just moved here, and which is not very easy for me to find new friends around...wish you all the best~!

    ReplyDelete