Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bittersüß


A lot of stuff hit me today. I’ve been in even more contact with my host family, and I am getting super excited. I talked to Will too, and we kind of compared areas/families/etc. Lots of fun. Neither of us really knows what to bring with us.

So on the one hand I am beyond excited for Germany and meeting a wonderful family. On the other, however, I am quite sad to be leaving. I’ve really only just begun to appreciate how great Richmond and Virginia are.

Even the weather. It’s currently pouring and thundering during one of those random summer storms. Blazingly hot in the afternoon, no clouds, and an hour later it sounds and looks like a hurricane. I doubt the quixotic Virginia weather really happens in Germany (EDIT: It does, no worries). I’m going to miss it, but more importantly, I am going to miss my family and my friends. I have been blessed with good ones.

I have four weeks before DC orientation. Less than a month and then I’ll be gone for a year. I’m going to miss Kelly’s 13th birthday and the renovation of Katie’s home. I’m going to miss a lot of opportunities to bond and be with my friends as we explore college for the first time.

So it is bittersweet, this adventure. I have a few doubts, but I'm strapped in for the ride; might as well enjoy it!

EDIT: Originally posted 22 June, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment