Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grüße!


Hello World!

My name is Michael and I am so lucky to be one of the 2012-2013 CBYX Scholars through CIEE. I haven’t been placed yet and really the only thing that I know is that I’ll be in Germany for the year. Kinda scary right? You bet.

In fact, I almost didn’t take the scholarship when it was offered to me. I was terrified and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and if that was it. To be honest, I still haven't a clue, but do I really need to? No.

I’ve decided to see this as a grand adventure, albeit one that is making my stomach drop almost daily. It’s like a roller coaster; or better yet my favorite one, Apollo’s Chariot. One of the most horrifying feelings in the world for me is that one right after you fasten your seatbelt on a roller coaster. You are stuck. Nothing bad is happening, but there is nothing you can do about anything.

Then you start slowly inching up the incline. Pure terror. I hate heights. (Not actually true, I love being up high, but I have a near debilitating fear of falling) And that slow rise, during which you have no control, is so scary.

But I love roller coasters. That first drop: pure elation. The entire ride, except the beginning, is wonderful.

I’m excited for Germany.

EDIT: I wrote all of these posts on a different blogging platform and am only moving their location. This was originally posted on June 14, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment