Saturday, August 25, 2012

Die letzten(isch) drei Wochen

I promise I haven't died. The last two weeks since I started writing this post have been incredibly busy and I'm adjusting to my life in Minden quite well, I'd say. I do intend on catching things up rather quickly, so expect some back to back posts, but don't get used to it.
Goodbye Schloss Wittgenstein

So I've actually been in Minden for about a week now. We're all left Schloss Wittgenstein and Language Camp at various times last Saturday. That last week was so packed, legit.

It was the week of pranks and craziness. Beds ended up outside, in hallways. Underwear was taped to ceilings; furniture rearranged. Toothpaste on the mirror, window, wherever. Chaos. Wonderful, amazing, chaos.

Between class and other scheduled activities, we prepared for our host families and for the talent show on Friday night (and Saturday morning). Our class put together a great German word to Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" and a Foto-Love-Story. Overall, the talent show was one of the best I have seen or participated in. For four+ hours people sang, danced, were crazy, sang more, told jokes, and acted out skits. When we finally finished at 1:45, I was exhausted, but I still didn't want it to end. The night was really magical and as we were walking back to the school, the universe had one more surprise in store: the Milky Way. I've always lived in densely light polluted Virginia and have never seen it; it was surreal.

For us as a group, it was the closest week we'd had yet. I knew that, as a gaggle of 50 people, we would really bond over the three weeks. But the last week, I was surprised by how close we actually became. We bonded over small things, like the walk to Bad Laasphe, and big things like learning to drink properly.

The coolest group of people I've yet known
But now we are dispersing across a country to live with families we've never met. We may not be at each others physical sides to assuage homesickness or loneliness; but I've made friendships that I'm sure will come in handy down the line. I can't wait to see what this year has in store for me and for every one of us. Good luck!

Moving forward on my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment